The World of Eurovision

Friday, January 26, 2007

Spain - lost the plot years ago, Part II

The above comment of Wogan’s may now appear to have come true. Against all the odds – and I can’t believe it – the best song of the national final season I’ve heard yet, Bailame, has FAILED to make it to the next round of selecting the Spanish song. What’s more, I was incorrect in saying that only five made it through to the next stage of the process; the songs are whittled down to 10 and then to 5. Which means that Bailame, a song that could have brought Spain an excellent result, didn’t even make the Top 10.

This is the biggest injustice since Whitney Houston failed to get the Netherlands out of the semi finals in 2005.

And to top it all off, another one of my selected five, Ain Veri Japi Nau, also did not make the Top 10. Typical. I pick five songs out of fifteen, and two have failed to make the Top 10.

By the way, if you’re wondering which songs actually HAVE made the final ten, then here’s the list, followed by a one-word-comment from myself extracted from my previous review of the fifteen songs.

Busco En Hombre, “brassy”
Ya Estas Aqui, “dull”
I Love You Mi Vida, “castanets”
Me Gusta Hacer Cancoines Con Un Hey “weird”
Una Lagrima, “ethnic”
Ley Le Lee, “pleasant”
Cuanto Amor Por Ti, “nice”
Destiny, “un-Spanish”
Tu Voz Se Apagara, “excellent”
La Reina De La Noche, “moody”


I must say that I am rather pleased that Cuanto Amor Por Ti qualified as I was unsure whether it was a bit to “nice” to get through. I’m now backing that one, along with Tu Voz Se Apagara and La Reina De La Noche which are still in the race. If I had to pick another two to complete a top five for the final, I guess I would have to plump for Ley Le Lee and I Love You Mi Vida. No doubt all of those songs will fail to qualify for the next round, but fingers crossed that some will make it.

If I’m being totally honest, I’m not completely sure when the Final 5 songs will be announced. What with separate competitions to find the singer AND song in Spain, I can’t keep up. Along with the fact that thirty-nine (wince) countries are also going to choose their songs over the next six weeks. Forgive me if not every country’s national selection process is mentioned in this blog. If every one was then I would probably spend from now until the middle of March in front of my laptop. And I’ve got lectures you know.

Matters are not helped by the fact that Sweden’s Melodifestivalen begins next week and this deserves much Blog attention due to its ability to stir up emotions in all Eurofans. It is the best national final though. I bet they’d have picked Bailame too.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home