The World of Eurovision

Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Marija or Marija?

As someone reminded me today that it's only one month until the semi finals, I thought it was about time I actually started writing about the songs proper. Topic one - Marija or Marija?

Both Bosnia & Herzegovina and Serbia have sent ballads sung by a girl called Marija. And how do you solve a problem like Marija? Well, not easily, as both songs are very good.

Bosnia & Herzegovina will open the final with Rijeka Bez Imena. This is a beautiful song just oustide my own top 5 at the moment and you can tell that it is inspired by the success of the similar Lejla which finished 3rd for B&H last year. Rijeka is sadly not as immediate, not that Lejla was either imo, so this will go against them. However, I'm hoping she does a killer performance, and maybe coming first will be an advantage of memory? Not a winner though, but possible top 10.

By contrast, the Serbian entry Molitva is a much more immediate, broad ballad, not quite so ethnic and with a catchier tune, although the chorus's contrived chord change does rile me so! This is a huge fan favourite and will no doubt breeze through the semi-final. In fact it'll probably do very well overall! But I really do prefer Bosnia & Herzegovina. It's so much more subtle, so much more beautiful - but if they sing it in English I won't be happy!

So Marija vs Marija - Marija Sestic wins for me, and I will be cheering Bosnia&Herzegovina on come May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home