The World of Eurovision

Saturday, February 24, 2007

Comme Ci, Comme Ca...

Last night, Cypriot superstar, 39-year-old Evridiki performed her 2007 Eurovision entry for the first time. Following on from 11th placings in 1992 and 1994, she's back with Comme Ci, Comme Ca. And firstly may I say... what an appropriate title!

It's neither here nor there, it's not good but not bad, it's so-so... it is indeed comme ci comme ca.

Firstly it's all in French - a shrewd move from the Cypriots, but will it pay off? It seems a little odd to me. The song is another sort of 90s club-dance song a little bit like Hooked On You from the Norweigan National Final and also like the Swiss entry Vampires Are Alive - but it's less good. I don't know it just lacks something. For me, I'm missing a hook. I just can't seem to find this song's strengths. Also I watched this lady perform it on YouTube and she's rather distracting when she performs this as if she's demented! I don't remember her being quite show manic in the 90s. She's obviously aged well.

So yeah, the Cypriot entry, very comme ci comme ca. Will it qualify from the semi-final? Well if Evridiki finishes 11th for the third successive time then not only will it be unfortunate that she's failed to hit the Top 10 AGAIN, it means she won't qualify. It'll pick up votes from Greece and perhaps France and other countries but I'm not sure this is a certain qualifier. But don't write it off!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home