The World of Eurovision

Sunday, May 13, 2007

The Aftermath

It's all over. All those months of preparation and... it's all over. Serbia won with "Molitva" and, I must be honest, I didn't think it would be quite strong enough to be the winner. But it even overcame Verka and scored rather well from the west (not the UK, although we did give it 5 in the semi-final!). Let's see what I said about "Molitva" when I first heard it...

"...a very nice song indeed with a beautiful melody [but] the weakest of that three [FYR Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Serbia]"

Again, a really accurate point from me. And talk about misreading Bulgaria, I can't believe they came in 5th! Every year there's always one that takes me by surprise.

Still, there's a lot of happy fans because Serbia won. Simply because it shows that a non-English ballad can still win in the televoting era which was beginning to look impossible! It's not as good as Lejla or Lane Moje though is it? Still, she did well last night. As for the west, well... Big 4 in the bottom 6 wasn't good. And highly political voting too. Although there was some very bizarre votes last night! My favourites being...

12 from Ireland to Lithuania
0 from Andorra to Spain
12 from Albania to Spain
5 from Albania to Ireland
12 from Georgia to Belgium (in the semi final!)
0 from UK to Ireland

And of course let's not forget the 12 points from Malta to UK. That absolutely made my YEAR! It was worth coming 22nd for. You don't often see many 12 points come our way these days so thanks Malta! And Ireland of course, shame it wasn't reciprocated. Although everyone I spoke to was amazed at how spectacularly awful Ireland was.

Just listening to the UK Top 40 - Scooch are #5! So there's some justice...

Congratulations to Serbia, we all thought Ukraine were robbed, and this is my 100th blog post. What a centenary. What a Eurovision!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home